Can Bernedoodle Eat Chocolate? Everything You Need to Know!

Let’s start by saying, chocolate is toxic for dogs since it is capable of causing serious health issues. However, it has a lot to do with the amount of chocolate you give to your dog and the weight of your dog.

If it’s a case where you’ve accidentally given your bernedoodle chocolate to eat, then it is best to monitor your dog for signs of toxicity or contact your veterinarian for advice on the situation.

Can Bernedoodle Eat Chocolate?

Even bernedoodle might enjoy eating chocolate because of its sweet taste, it is very important that you know that chocolate is poisonous to do and can actually cause health issues. So, it doesn’t matter how much your dog begs for a piece of chocolate while you are eating it, we don’t recommend giving it to them.

What Happens If My Bernedoodle Eats Chocolate?

Can Bernedoodle Eat Chocolate

Well if this is the case, the first thing you have to do is keep the dog size in mind and how much chocolate they have consumed.

If your dog is medium or large who only ate small pieces of chocolate, the only symptoms you may notice is an upset stomach that is associated with diarrhea or vomiting. However, if your dog is small in size, then the best thing you can do at this point is to seek medical attention immediately.

How Much Chocolate Can a Bernedoodle Eat?

We don’t think it’s an good idea to give your dog any chocolate it doesn’t matter if it only a small amount, as chocolate are known to cause severe health issues depending on the size of your dog.

If it’s a case where you have a bernedoodle that weighs about 30kg, giving them chocolate as little as 3000mg theobromine could be fatal. The thing is that you will find 3000mg of theobromine in one 500 gram bar of chocolate, which is considered to be less than a single bar.

How to Know If Your Bernedoodle Ate Chocolate?

If it’s a case where your dog have accidentally eaten chocolate a large amount of chocolate, then you should probably start seeing symptoms within four hours after ingestion. The most common symptoms you will likely notice is sickness, diarrhea, muscle tension, weakness, heavy breathing, and seizures.

Can Chocolate Kill Bernedoodle?

Though chocolate are prone to make dogs sick, it’s rarely fatal to dogs. Base on studies done by Veterinary Poison Information Service, out of 1000 dog chocolate toxicity cases that have been recorded on its database, it is said that only five dogs have died. However, it is best to keep in mind that many dog chocolate toxicity cases go unreported so the death rate might be a bit higher.

What is the Treatment For Chocolate Toxicity in Bernedoodles?

Your vet will use a treatment of decontamination and support for dogs that consume chocolate.

The first thing that need to be done is for the chocolate to be removed from your dog’s system. If your dog have ate the chocolate within a one hour time frame, then your vet might use induce vomiting in order to remove the chocolate from their system so that your dog can avoid a hospital stay. This is why you must call your veterinarian as soon as your dog has eaten chocolate.

Keep in mind that we don’t think it would be a good idea to induce your dog vomiting at home without the go ahead from your veterinarian. If somehow the hour time span as pass, then your veterinarian may shift to administering activated charcoal or providing them intravenous fluids through a catheter.

In order to avoid toxicity from taking place, you must refrain from giving your dog chocolate as a form of treat because it can lead to them being sick. Even if chocolate is in small amount, it is still not good for your dog. There are lots of other delicious treats out there for your furry friend.

Alwayne Gray

Welcome to my blog! My name is Alwayne, I'm delighted to have you here. I'm a doodle lovers that is passionate about sharing my knowledge with new or experienced doodle parents. Doodle breeds are very well known to be intelligent, loving, hyper and very friendly

Recent Posts