Can Bernedoodle Eat Grapes? Things You Should Know

If it’s a case where your dog’s have eaten grape, the best thing you can do at this point is to bring them to a veterinarian immediately. When it comes to dogs, eating grapes poses a huge risk as they often lead to intoxication.

Can Bernedoodle Eat Grapes?

Can Bernedoodle Eat Grapes

It is safe to say that, bernedoodles shouldn’t eat grapes because it can be bad for them. Grapes and raisin are very well known to be poisonous to dogs in general, so as a dog owner you should understand the risk your dog faces if he/she consume grapes, even if it is a small amount.

The sad news is that if your bernedoodle consumes a grape or raisin, it can lead to serious health issues such as kidney failure and there are some cases where ingestion can be fatal. However, it is still not known why grape or raisin often lead to acute kidney failure in dogs.

What Amount of Grapes Are Toxic For Bernedoodles?

Well it is hard to say, because the amount of grape that result in toxication can be difficult to determine. There are reports that says the amount of grape has a lot to do with your dog’s overall weight, while other says it doesn’t matter the dog size. There are cases where some dogs tend to show signs of toxication just by simply eating one grape, while other may have the privilege to eat more without experiencing any issues.

We don’t necessarily know what exactly causes the toxic traits, but we strongly believe that it has a lot to do with the flesh of the grape. So, as you can see, it doesn’t matter if the grape is peeled or seedless your dog will still experience issues. There is no answers on to why grape is toxic, so the best thing you can do is to avoid giving it to your dog.

How is Grape Intoxication Treated?

If you find that your dog have been intoxicated by grape, you should seek medical attention immediately by a professional. It is important that you take your dog to the vet right away, so that the treatment can be started as soon as possible. The longer you delay, the bigger the chances of kidney failure to occur.

The vet will start by inducing vomiting that’s if you have already done it or your dog hasn’t started vomiting as yet. After that, your vet will begin a gastric lavage, and administer activated charcoal that will play a role in absorbing any remain toxic that’s in your dog’s body. It’s now time for your vet to perform intravenous fluid therapy so that all the toxin of the bloodstream can be flush out and keep the kidneys producing urine.

Before taking your dog home, there’s a chance that your vet will prescribed medication that will reduce vomiting and keeps the kidney operating as they should. We highly recommend that you do regular check-ups during the treatment period for your furry friend.

My Dog Ate One Grape

Even if your dog ate one grape that could be enough to cause kidney failure to occur. We have heard about situations where dogs ate one grape which causes them to seek medical attention. There have been incidents where kids are eating grapes, and one accidentally drop on the floor and then the dog eats it.

The first thing your veterinarian will do is try and make your dog vomit in order to bring the grape back up. If it’s a case where your vet finds it hard to bring the grape back up, then they will probably put the dog on drips for 14 hours and run a few test to see if nothing is wrong with their kidneys.

Will My Dog Make Full Recovery From Eating Grape?

Personally, I have never seen a dog being killed by a grape or raisin before and I think the reason for this is because when they actually get sick, their owners tend to seek medical attention immediately to prevent severe damages from occurring.

I don’t think your dog will die immediately after eating a grape as the toxin needs time to circulate. However, there are other factors about grape that we don’t fully understand as yet, so the best thing you can do is to be on the safe side and get advice from your veterinarian.

Alwayne Gray

Welcome to my blog! My name is Alwayne, I'm delighted to have you here. I'm a doodle lovers that is passionate about sharing my knowledge with new or experienced doodle parents. Doodle breeds are very well known to be intelligent, loving, hyper and very friendly

Recent Posts