Can Schnoodle Eat Chocolate? Is It Bad?

It might be a bit tempting to actually feed your furry friend chocolate but we don’t think it would be a good idea to feed your Schnoodle even a small amount of chocolate. Though chocolate is known to be a delicious treat for humans, it’s not the same for dogs.

The thing is that chocolate toxicity is a common problem we’ve actually seen in dogs and it normally occurs by accident. Another thing to know is that the level of toxicity all comes down to the type of chocolate and how much they ate.

In this article, we are going to speak about chocolate toxicity and what you should do if your furry friend eats chocolate.

Can Schnoodle Eat Chocolate?

The short answer is no, we don’t recommend giving them any type of chocolate as it is very well known to be toxic to dogs. Feeding your Schnoodle chocolate can result in them experiencing palpations, and seizures or even becoming fatal. However, the dog size, type of chocolate, and amount could determine the severity of the chocolate’s effect on the dogs.

It’s safe to say that chocolate contains a component widely known as theobromine. The thing is that humans metabolize theobromine efficiently, but on the other hand, dogs tend to process it much slower which leads to toxic buildup in their system.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Schnoodles

Can Schnoodle Eat Chocolate

There are several symptoms that your Schnoodle is likely to face including abnormal heart rate, blood pressure issues, digestive issues, increase urination, as well as seizures.

As mentioned above, the human digestive system tends to do an amazing job when it comes to processing a large amount of theobromine without experiencing any serious issues, dogs take much longer to do so, which usually leads to a toxic amount of build-up waste.

What Are the Signs of Chocolate Poisoning?

It all depends on the type of chocolate and the amount of chocolate they ate. For most dog breeds out there, the common signs you’re likely to see are vomiting, panting, increased thirst, diarrhea, restlessness, and racing heart rate. In severe cases, the symptoms can be seizures, muscle tremors, and heart failure.

Once you notice any of these symptoms, you will need to contact your veterinarian immediately so that your furry friend can be treated.

You should also keep in mind that it can take several hours for chocolate poisoning signs to show. Another thing is that signs due to large exposures can actually last for a few days due to the long half-life of theobromine. What this means is that it remains in the bloodstream for a longer period.

What Should I Do If My Schnoodle Eats Chocolate

If somehow your Schnoodles have accidentally eaten chocolate, the first thing we recommend doing is to contact your veterinarian or even Pet Poison Helpline to know if a poisonous amount of chocolate was ingested. If it’s said that a toxic amount is ingested, then you may want to get your dog examined by a veterinarian immediately. The sooner the treatment begins, the better it is for your Schnoodle.

Can Puppies Eat Chocolate?

No, we don’t recommend giving your pup chocolate to eat, even though a small taste will not kill your pup, their system just can’t metabolize quickly enough, causing a toxic build-up.

However, if your pup has consumed a small amount, it is less likely that it will start experiencing symptoms right away. This is why you’ll need to keep an eye out for any symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.

Can Chocolate Affect a Dog’s Mood?

No, we can’t agree on that. Although it’s pretty much safe to say that chocolate does have a positive effect on the moods of most humans, we can’t justify the same for dogs. Even if your dog is capable of tolerating a small quantity of chocolate, the only difference you may notice is additional energy which is usually caused by the caffeine in chocolate.

Alwayne Gray

Welcome to my blog! My name is Alwayne, I'm delighted to have you here. I'm a doodle lovers that is passionate about sharing my knowledge with new or experienced doodle parents. Doodle breeds are very well known to be intelligent, loving, hyper and very friendly

Recent Posts